Thursday, November 02, 2006

You Must Insert Title To Publish Blog

So I continue to live in a strange and foreign land, and when you live in a strange foreign land you tend to do strange things. So on Halloween I decided to hike up the nearby volcano Mt. Etna with my friend Justin, instead of going to some lame mundane costume party. It took 6 hours of hiking and 2 hours of driving total to complete this task, and this was no easy task. It's very rare for me to quit something once I make my mind up to complete it, and my body was screaming for me to quit. Maybe its because we didn't start the hike until 5 o clock in the evening, and the sun was setting and for 5 hours we navigated to the top by moonlight (wasn't too hard, you just head in one direction, up!). What sucked the most is I had recently hurt my ankle (like father like son) running the PRT (see previous blog), and climbing a Volcano isn't exactly the smartest thing to do after such an injury, luckily my injury compares none to my father's.

One thing I've noticed since my enlistment into the military is that I have only spent one holiday (Christmas 2004) in a normal light. Holidays just glide past me nowadays with pretty much no thought into them. There was last Thanksgiving, where Justin and I cooked a 15 lbs turkey in a toaster oven in the barracks. I find myself working most of the Holidays at work, being that I have no children and that I am single. It doesn't bother me though, holidays just aren't the same as they once were when you were a kid, and they aren't even close to being a holiday if you have no family to spend them with.

To think about it, Holidays pretty much suck as an adult, it's not that much fun to sit at home and hear the doorbell ring 2 million times so you can pass out candy to small children (unless your Mark Foley). In fact, Halloween teaches children that welfare is ok, you don't have to work for a living, you can get food by going door to door. Christmas starts earlier and earlier every year, pretty soon we all will be taking a page out of the Texas Trailer Trash book and leaving our Christmas lights up all year round. New Years has turned into Anthony Robbins Holiday, everybody trying to improve themselves, they see Chuck Norris on a Nordictrack and they go out and buy one, or buy the ab shocker thing, the thing that gives you six pack abs while sitting on the couch eating cheetos. (Pfffffft). Easter has turned into a Rainbow fest, if your not careful you may confuse it with the next gay pride rally. Everything is pastels and rainbow colored, bunnies, chicks and little candies. A far cry from Jesus hanging on the cross, but don't tell Hallmark that. So in all reality I guess Im not missing to much when it comes to Holidays, just my family, and that's nothing different than I miss everyday.

No comments: